AmigaActive (1486/2143)

From:Sam Thomas
Date:20 Apr 2000 at 19:26:43
Subject:Re: ArtEffect and loading pictures to start with... (fwd)

Hello Neil

On 17-May-00, you wrote:

> waitforport is a DOS command, not an ARexx statement. You haven't given
> an "address command" statement so waitforport does nothing and the
> script immediately tries to load the picture, before ArtEffect is
> loaded.

> The "address command" in line 3 only applies to that line becuase it's
> followed by the command to be sent. Try this:

> /* err, script to load a picture into ArtEffect on startup*/
> parse arg pic
> address command
> if ~show('P','ArtEffect') then 'Run >NIL: Programs:ArtEffect/ArtEffect'
> 'waitforport ArtEffect'
> address 'ArtEffect' 'loadpic' pic

> Test it from a shell first, only try using it as a filetype action when
> you know it works.

Ok, I have got a bit nearer now! I assume that the 'waitforport' command
waits until the ArtEffect Arexx port is open? yes?
It seems to give up waiting (about 3secs before) for the port to open before
ArtEffect has started up. Is there a way to make the command wait a bit
longer? atm I have just repeated the line so that it finds it the second
time around. (this works)

> Neil

what do the other commands in the script mean then?

Thanks a lot Neil :-))))

*Sam Thomas* - Still don't have a clue about Arexx :-/